[ISLMA-Share] Good News:IMLS is in the federal funding bill!

Tue May 2 16:25:23 CDT 2017

ALA Press Release dated May 2, 2017:

ALA applauds FY2017 budget increase for IMLS, calls on library supporters
to defend federal library funding in FY2018 budget

WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Monday congressional negotiators reached agreement on
a bill to fund the U.S. government through September. The “omnibus” bill
included $231 million for the Institute of Museum and Library Services – a
$1 million increase over FY2016. American Library Association President
Julie Todaro released the following statement:

"ALA is pleased that the FY17 budget proposed by Congress contains a $1
million increase in funding for the Institute of Museum and Library
Services. In congressional meetings on Capitol Hill today, participants in
the 2017 National Library Legislative Day from all 50 states are saying
“thank you” to members of Congress for making our nation’s libraries a
priority this year. This opportunity to say thanks is also a chance to
voice our unequivocal opposition to threats to cut funding in FY2018.

Now is the time to show our elected leaders how their constituents in every
single congressional district rely on our services. Now is the time to
galvanize library users, to contact our elected leaders and to invite
members of Congress to visit our libraries during the next congressional
recess over Memorial Day week. It is up to us to show Congress that
libraries may be one of our nation’s best investments."

Don't forget to contact Senators Duckworth and Durbin about FY18!

Lou Ann Jacobs

ISLMA Legislation Chair