[ISLMA-Share] Textbook inventory using Destiny

Thu May 11 11:47:13 CDT 2017

I did this at the school I worked at. I set up a category for textbooks  (
I also had categories for fiction,short stories, career, nonfiction, etc).
By doing this I could inventory as many or as few categories as I wanted at
any time.  I often did only a section of the library at a time.  Textbooks
were kept in a separate locked textbook room  so inventory wasn't really
needed after beginning this process but could be done separately at anytime.
I created barcodes for all textbooks and placed those inside the back
cover. It takes more time to check those in and out, but helps preserve the
barcodes on books taken in and out of lockers
 Etc. on a daily basis.  I also wrote the number in textbooks underneath
the barcode as well as on reverse of title page in case the barcode went
missing.  We often had textbooks going to the bindery over the summer.  I
checked those out to "bindery" patron and printed new barcodes for them
before sending them to bindery.  They come back with new covers ( barcodes
are gone ) so only way to determine correct book was # in front of book.  I
also made notations in destiny concerning any poor condition of textbook
before checking out .. Since students keep these books all year and are
responsible for damage, good record keeping on condition was important.
Destiny does have a textbook product you can purchase but I found including
in with library collection worked fine for us.
Hope this helps.
Gail Janz
Retired
Morris CHS