[ISLMA-Share] Assistance with rare book purchase

Fri May 19 12:41:14 CDT 2017

A group of teachers are trying to buy a colleague a retirement gift.  We
are looking for a first edition and/or signed copy of a Vonnegut novel.
The big ones (*Slaughterhouse* and *Cat's Cradle*) are over our budget.

Could those of you with experience with rare books let us know which of
these looks like a better value?  For example, we have found a number of
Easton Press "first editions" with signature.  It appears Easton re-prints
popular novels with fancy covers and they are not true first editions. Here
are a few items we have located:

Abe Books -- Galapagos
<https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=20833371506&searchurl=fe%3Don%26sortby%3D17%26tn%3Dgalapagos%26an%3Dvonnegut%26sgnd%3Don>

Abe Books -- Easton Press Monkey House
<https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/monkey-house/author/kurt-vonnegut/signed/>

Rarebooksfirst -- Breakfast of Champions
<http://www.rarebooksfirst.com/breakfast-of-champions-kurt-vonnegut-first-edition-1st-printing-book-1973/>

Which one is the more authentic first edition?  Which might be the better
choice for a gift?

Thanks so much!
Dawn Ferencz
--
Dawn Ferencz
Head Librarian

500 W. Elk Grove Blvd. | Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
(847) 718-4590
(847) 718-4480 (Library Line)
dawn.ferencz at d214.org
twitter: @dawn_ferencz

Currently reading: *The Up Side of Unrequited* by Becky Albertalli

--
If this is a Freedom of Information Act request, please forward the request
to District 214's FOIA Officer Patrick Mogge at patrick.mogge at d214.org

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
Acceptable Use Policies of District 214, which may result in monitoring and
disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.  Any views or
opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and might
not represent those of Township High School District 214.