[ISLMA-Share] Assistance with rare book purchase

Fri May 19 13:02:37 CDT 2017

Having been head of purchasing in an academic library in a previous life...
we always checked the rating of the seller and the return policy first. I
have a first edition of Breakfast of Champions and the book shown looks
like mine.

Have you looked at Alibris? Great return policy (even if you ordered the
wrong item, they will take it back).

Barbra Miller
Learning Resource Center Facilitator
Troy Community Consolidated School District 30C

*Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination *
- Sidney Sheldon

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> A group of teachers are trying to buy a colleague a retirement gift.  We
> are looking for a first edition and/or signed copy of a Vonnegut novel.
> The big ones (*Slaughterhouse* and *Cat's Cradle*) are over our budget.
>
> Could those of you with experience with rare books let us know which of
> these looks like a better value?  For example, we have found a number of
> Easton Press "first editions" with signature.  It appears Easton re-prints
> popular novels with fancy covers and they are not true first editions. Here
> are a few items we have located:
>
> Abe Books -- Galapagos
> <https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=20833371506&searchurl=fe%3Don%26sortby%3D17%26tn%3Dgalapagos%26an%3Dvonnegut%26sgnd%3Don>
>
> Abe Books -- Easton Press Monkey House
> <https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/monkey-house/author/kurt-vonnegut/signed/>
>
> Rarebooksfirst -- Breakfast of Champions
> <http://www.rarebooksfirst.com/breakfast-of-champions-kurt-vonnegut-first-edition-1st-printing-book-1973/>
>
> Which one is the more authentic first edition?  Which might be the better
> choice for a gift?
>
> Thanks so much!
> Dawn Ferencz
> --
> Dawn Ferencz
> Head Librarian
> Elk Grove High School | High School District 214
>
> 500 W. Elk Grove Blvd. | Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
> (847) 718-4590
> (847) 718-4480 (Library Line)
> dawn.ferencz at d214.org
> twitter: @dawn_ferencz
>
> Currently reading: *The Up Side of Unrequited* by Becky Albertalli
>
> If this is a Freedom of Information Act request, please forward the
> request to District 214's FOIA Officer Patrick Mogge at
> patrick.mogge at d214.org
>
> All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
> Acceptable Use Policies of District 214, which may result in monitoring and
> disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.  Any views or
> opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and might
> not represent those of Township High School District 214.

This electronic message (and any associated file
attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
please promptly delete this message and notify the sender
by e-mail.