[ISLMA-Share] Seeking recommendation for all school nonfiction read

Thu Nov 2 08:17:07 CDT 2017

Candace Fleming's latest book on the Romanovs might be of interest.
Also:
     *Terrible Typhoid Mary: The true story of the deadliest cook in
America*.  Don't know about the availability of author Susan Campbell
Bartoletti, but an engaging public health official might work well!

     *How Dare the Sun Rise*, by Sandra Uwiringiyimana. Don't know about
the author's availability, but she does speaking tours about being a
refugee in Burundi.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 6:39 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Don't forget about Candace Fleming!
>
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Susan Campbell Bartoletti is a great presenter and the kids love her
>> books.  Had her at my school a few years ago.
>>

>> -Mariela Siegert
>>

>> On Nov 1, 2017 2:41 PM, "Email list for the Illinois School Library Media
>> Association" <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>> I would 2nd Sally Walker, but also recommend *No Summit Out of Sight*.
>> It is co-written by Jordan Romero, who climbed Mt. Everest at 13. I don't
>> know how expensive his visits are, but my school Skyped with him years ago,
>> and he was very inspirational.
>>
>> Michele
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
>> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Anything that Sally Walker has written. Plus she is semi-local (she
>>> lives in DeKalb).
>>>

>>> We had her at our school 10 years ago. She was able to work with our ESL
>>> students and honors students. Quite an impressive range that she was able
>>> to adapt to. Strongly recommended.
>>>

>>> Sincerely,
>>>

>>> Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School
>>>

>>> "What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
>>> about education."
>>> - Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School