[ISLMA-Share] Latin American Literature

Wed Nov 15 09:25:51 CST 2017

I'm just back from vacation so please forgive me if these authors have been listed and I missed it. There are two Illinois authors you may want to also consider - both authors live in the Chicago area and are also highlighted on the 2017 IL READS list for the following books.

Cristina Henriquez<http://www.illinoisauthors.org/authors/Cristina_Henriquez> - The Book of Unknown Americans

  *   Notable Book, New York Times
  *   Notable Book, Washington Post
  *   Great Read, NPR
  *   Novel of the Year, The Daily Beast
  *   Best Book of the Year, Mother Jones
  *   Best Book of the Year, Oprah.com
  *   Best Book of the Year, School Library Journal
  *   Best Book of the Year, BookPage
  *   ILLINOIS READS Book Selection, Illinois Reading Council, 2017

She has also written other well received books and has received:

  *   Fiction New Luminary, Virginia Quarterly Review
  *   Alfredo Cisneros Del Moral Foundation Award

Claudia Guadalupe Martinez<http://www.illinoisauthors.org/authors/Claudia_Guadalupe_Martinez> - Pig Park

  *   Battle of the Books Official Title List (Grade 7-8), Chicago Public Schools, 2014
  *   ALAN's Picks List, 2014
  *   Young Adult Book Award, Texas Institute of Letters Best, 2015
  *   Best YA Fiction Award, NAACS Tejas Foco, 2015
  *   Books for Kids Interested in Engineering List, Chicago Public Library, 2015
  *   Recommended HS Reading List, Chicago Public Schools, 2015
  *   Recommended Summer Reading List, We're the People
  *   Starred Review, VOYA magazine
  *   ILLINOIS READS Book Selection, Illinois Reading Council, 2017
  *   Houghton Mifflin has optioned limited e-rights of Pig Park for their Read 180 program. "Read 180 is the leading blended learning intervention program building reading comprehension, academic vocabulary and writing skills for struggling student in grade 4 and up.
  *   Readers Guide with teacher notes available.

She has also written other well received books.

Bonnie Matheis
Coordinator, Illinois Center for the Book

Illinois Center for the Book
Illinois State Library
Gwendolyn Brooks Building
300 South Second Street
Springfield, Illinois 62701

Office: 217-558-2065
Fax: 217-782-1877

bmatheis at ilsos.net

Jesse White, Secretary of State and State Librarian

http://cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/center_for_the_book<http://cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/center_for_the_book/home.html>