[ISLMA-Share] Fwd: Advocacy Alert: Net Neutrality

Wed Nov 29 11:17:16 CST 2017

Take TWO SECONDS today to email your state reps about #netneutrality!  I'm
forwarding an email from my WEMTA organization that will link you directly
to the ALA site with a pre-written email to send off!

Don't stay silent!  Librarians WILL be heard!

Thank you all!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wisconsin Educational Media & Technology Assocation <wemta at wiscow.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM
Subject: Advocacy Alert: Net Neutrality
To: bjohnson at d70schools.org

View this email in your browser
<http://mailchi.mp/4ccb9173c8c7/last-chance-to-access-free-iste-pd-to-guide-11-byod-initiatives-2527033?e=90b8b81eb7>

Dear WEMTA Members,

WLA shared this important update on Net Neutrality. Please contact your
member of Congress about this important issue!

*What Happened:*

The day before Thanksgiving, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Chairman Pai publicly shared his plan to dismantle network neutrality
protections approved by the FCC in 2015 and affirmed by the federal appeals
court in 2016. The new draft order is scheduled to be voted on by the five
FCC commissioners on December 14.

*Why It Matters:*

Net neutrality is the principle that internet service providers (ISPs) must
enable access to all legal content and applications regardless of the
source and without favoring or blocking specific services or websites.
Strong, enforceable rules are critical to the functioning of modern
libraries because we rely on the internet to collect, create and
disseminate essential online information and services to the public.
Libraries and our patrons cannot afford to be relegated to "slow lanes" on
the internet. ALA has two resolutions regarding net neutrality: the first
affirms net neutrality
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=31b6115baa&e=90b8b81eb7>
 and the second reaffirms our support.
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=4b6b469625&e=90b8b81eb7>

*What You Can Do:*

Right now, the FCC is not accepting public comments (that may come later),
but strong disapproval from members of Congress (especially from
Republicans and those that serve on committees with oversight for the FCC)
could force a pause in the December 14 vote to derail net neutrality. Make
your voice heard now by emailing your member of Congress to support net
neutrality protections.
Send an Email
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=aff1767ce7&e=90b8b81eb7>

WEMTA Legislative Advocacy

<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=cac408ce43&e=90b8b81eb7>
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=630dd2a14d&e=90b8b81eb7>
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=3949c0b184&e=90b8b81eb7>
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=f9edbf2ddc&e=90b8b81eb7>
*Copyright © 2017 Wisconsin Educational Media & Technology Association, All
rights reserved.*

You can update your preferences
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/profile?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=7ad60a5728&e=90b8b81eb7>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://wemta.us9.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=d96aac88bbbf162910bda8653&id=7ad60a5728&e=90b8b81eb7&c=a874eeef4d>

--
Becky Johnson

Rockland Learning Center
All are welcome.
Please come visit.
Answers are waiting.
http://rocklandlearningcenter.weebly.com/
Follow our library on Twitter @MrsJohnsonD70

--
To ensure that District 70 students experience learning that prepares them
to live and work in the 21st Century