[ISLMA-Share] collection development for dual language elementary school library

Thu Nov 30 10:52:36 CST 2017

While I can't answer the question about percentages, you may be interested
to know that 100% of Arbordale's STEM-themed picture books are available in
print in both English and Spanish (and a few in Chinese) as well as our
multilingual read-aloud ebook format with word highlighting and speed
control.

In case you are unfamiliar with our digital books and are curious, here's a
Digital Review Copy (DRC) of Cao Chong Weighs an Elephant featuring the
three languages. This link will work until the end of December and may be
shared. And, as an FYI, we always have a free book of the month available at
https://www.arbordalepublishing.com/BookoftheMonth.php. The free books
change on or around the first of the month.

 <http://www.arbordalepublishing.com/bookpage.php?id=CaoChong> CaoChong.jpg

Read DRC
<http://www.arbordalepublishing.com/viewebook.php?e=9781628559088&s=M0NGZ6>

buoyancy

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at
lynne at arbordalepublishing.com. Happy reading!

Lynne Rathmell

 <http://www.arbordalepublishing.com/> LeafLogo-30016
<http://www.arbordalepublishing.com/> Arbordale Publishing ... Formerly
Sylvan Dell Publishing

612 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Suite A2

Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

843-971-6722 (off), 877-243-3457 (toll free), 843-216-3804 (fax)

lynne at arbordalepublishing.com

Science and Math Through Picture Books

Here's a link to our online
<http://www.arbordalepublishing.com/documents/Catalog.pdf> catalog. If you
prefer to sort our books to see which books contain various animals or
relate to specific subjects, you can do that by using the "sort" or "search"
features found at the top right of our main book
<http://www.arbordalepublishing.com/bookhome.php> homepages. You can also
find regional or subject-specific Arbordale catalogs on
<https://www.edelweiss.plus/#publisher=SYLV&folderID=9531&page=1> Edelweiss.

What is so unique about Arbordale picture books?

.        All books are developed from the ground up to introduce or
supplement science or math. We were "STEM" before it was the buzzword of the
day. We want our books to inspire curiosity. The top priority in manuscript
selection is whether or not we envision a parent reading the book to a child
in his or her lap? We call that our "cuddle factor." That also makes the
books great for using during language arts to introduce or supplement
science or math.

.        We aren't scientists so we turn to those who are. All books are
vetted for accuracy before going to print.

.        All books include 2-6 pages of our signature For Creative Minds
(FCM) section, which is designed to facilitate parental engagement.

.        The For Creative Minds back matter also provides educators with
time-saving lesson ideas and extensions for science, math, and social
studies.

.        Additional free online resources include 25-40 pages of
cross-curricular teaching activities (includes text-based questions and
writing prompts); three interactive quizzes: reading comprehension, FCM, and
math word problems; alignment to Common Core, NGSS and state standards; and
reading levels by LexileR, AR, and Fontas & Pinnell.

.        All books are printed in English hardcover and paperback and in
Spanish paperback. Twenty-four select titles are available in Spanish
hardcover and 2 (soon to be 3) titles are available in Chinese paperback.

What is so unique about the ebook technology?

.        The picture books have a subtle science and math twist to ignite a
passion for learning.

.        Word highlighting and speed control supports beginning and
struggling readers.

.        Audio can be turned off or the speed increased to encourage better
readers.

.        The ebooks read aloud in both English and Spanish with language
selection "on the fly" to support ELL/Dual-language learners. Chinese is
being added to a few select titles.

.        Tappable animal and object sounds encourage children to have fun
while reading. The more fun they have, the more they'll read.

.        The iPad app has recently been upgraded to feature one-word tap to
hear pronunciation.

.        A School & Library site licenses allows unlimited, simultaneous
access at home and at school. An individual teacher may use a personal
elibrary on 5 computers or tablets in the classroom.