[ISLMA-Share] Research lessons for To Kill a Mockingbird

Wed Oct 4 18:02:25 CDT 2017

A teacher last year working with honors students had them research
"literary merit" and decide the ways TKAM demonstrates literary merit and
perhaps where it falls short. They developed criteria based on their
experience plus research. They tested multiple short texts against their
criteria to refine it. They met with "experts" in our building in small
groups for more insights into the nuances of TKAM's literary merit.

If you want more details or maybe even contact with the classroom teacher,
email me. She's an excellent teacher who had the right group ready to try
something new. She had a plan but adapted it to students' ideas as the
project evolved.

Kate Rogers
Librarian
Downers Grove South High School
krogers at csd99.org

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> After five years of research papers about 1930s topics during the *To
> Kill a Mockingbird* unit, our Freshman English teachers have moved the
> research paper to a different unit next semester.  One of the teachers
> would still like to do a small research assignment next month with the
> novel and is looking for fresh ideas.
>
> What tried-and-true research lessons do you do with your students as they
> read *To Kill a Mockingbird*?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mrs. Ann Marie Jinkins
> Librarian
> Rochelle Township High School
> 1401 Flagg Road
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1401+Flagg+Road+Rochelle,%C2%A0+IL+61068&entry=gmail&source=g>
> Rochelle,  IL 61068
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1401+Flagg+Road+Rochelle,%C2%A0+IL+61068&entry=gmail&source=g>
>
> (815)562-4161, ext. 4112
>
> ajinkins at rthsd212.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','ajinkins at rthsd212.org');>

This electronic message (and any associated file attachments) is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It
may contain privileged or confidential information. Unauthorized review,
forwarding, printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please promptly