[ISLMA-Share] tracking reference and RA questions

Thu Oct 5 15:04:18 CDT 2017

Caitlin,
Years ago, a library I worked at tracked reference questions and reader
advisory queries on a pad of paper with hash marks under the subject or
genre asked about.

Fast forward 30 years, my high school went 1:1 this year and I am the first
responder to all things Chromebook. We have no tech or secretarial staff --
just me and the tech director who works in another part of the building or
off-site depending on the day of the week.  Here's is my low-tech solution
that you might be able to modify for your purposes:

I have an old 1st gen iPad at the circulation desk (battery lasts all day
on an overnight charge).
When students come into the library, they sign in by using a simple Google
Form that I created and shared to the iPad.  The information includes their
name, the teacher who sent them, and their choice of library "business" --
forgot Chromebook, waiting for repair, checking out books, printing,
question, etc. It takes less than 10 seconds (if they can spell their
teacher's name.) It also time-stamps the entry when they click 'submit' in
case a teacher or principal needed to know their whereabouts.

My high schoolers never complain about it and I can collect data easily in
a spreadsheet.  You could use the same concept with your own Google Form.
You can create a short answer question or comment which allows whoever is
recording the reference questions some flexibility if you want more
information than just "how many".  Hope this helps.  ~Janet

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hey friends & colleagues :)
> Do any of you keep track of how many reference, tech or RA questions you
> are asked throughout the day? And if so, how?
> Thanks!
>
> --
> *Caitlin Greener*
> Librarian
> Niles North High School
> 847-626-2182
>
> *Currently** Reading Dividing Eden** by Joelle Charbonneau*
> <http://north-niles-hs.beta.libguides.com/nnlibrary>
> Find us on Instagram @NilesNorthLibrary
> <https://www.instagram.com/nilesnorthlibrary/>
> Find us on Twitter @NilesNorthLib <https://twitter.com/NNirc>