[ISLMA-Share] Hands on Activities in High School

Tue Oct 17 09:59:27 CDT 2017

At our library, we have table top games that are available to the students whenever they want to play.

Chess is our most popular by far, we can have as many as eight games going on at a time, but Jenga, Connect 4, Apples to Apples, Spot It, Uno are also played weekly if not daily. Others that are available are Bananagrams, Yahtzee, Sequence, Mastermind, and Othello.

Whenever we have a themed week, we usually add a craft or some other arts activity. We have had a coloring contest for Halloween, Dot to Dot for Tech Week, Foam Locker frames for the holidays.

We have found that the quicker and easier the craft and the simpler the game is to play, the more popular the activity.

Hope this helps!
Gretchen Zaitzeff

University High School

Normal, IL