[ISLMA-Share] music in the library

Wed Oct 25 09:30:58 CDT 2017

I think it depends on your school.  My community would have no problem with
having Christmas music playing in our library.  I read Christmas stories in
December and we have Christmas trees up in our school.  I really like the
idea, and I may do the same thing.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Since the law says that a public school may not endorse one religion over
> another, unless you are going to play holiday music for every religion, I
> would advise not to do it for Christian holidays.
>
> Stephanie
>
> Stephanie Stieglitz
> Teacher-Librarian, The Lane
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=The+Lane+500+N.+Elm+St.+Hinsdale,+IL+60521&entry=gmail&source=g>
> 500 N. Elm St.
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=The+Lane+500+N.+Elm+St.+Hinsdale,+IL+60521&entry=gmail&source=g>
> Hinsdale, IL 60521
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=The+Lane+500+N.+Elm+St.+Hinsdale,+IL+60521&entry=gmail&source=g>
> MRC Website <https://sites.google.com/a/d181.org/lanemrc/>
>

> *"For school leaders and school librarians, implementing the CCSS is not
> about thinking out of the box. It is about transforming the box itself."  -
> *Implementing the Common Core State Standards: The Role of the School
> Librarian - Achieve and AASL Action Brief, Nov. 2013
>
> "*I don't believe that libraries should be drab places, where people sit
> in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing
> wild animals as librarians.*" - Monty Python's Flying Circus, series one,
> show 10
>

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> We recently purchased a flat screen TV to mount in the library. We do
>> streaming news during the day and occasionally music. It's been a really
>> nice addition and really contributes to our space being welcoming,
>> comfortable, etc.
>> As my assistant and I were scrolling through the music choices, we
>> noticed that holiday/Christmas music would be available soon. This sounded
>> so exciting!! Until I stopped to think that maybe Christmas tunes might not
>> be very culturally sensitive in an area open and welcoming to all people.
>> I'm hoping to just get a broad polling of responses - IN or OUT: Who
>> doesn't love holiday music! Do it!! OR What is this, 1950?? Not everybody
>> celebrates Christian holidays!!
>> Thanks in advance, everyone! :)
>>
>> --
>> Caroline Fox Anvick
>> School Librarian
>> Normal Community High School

> E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public records
> law. Most written communications (including email) to or from school
> district officials and staff are public records available to the public and
> media upon request. Your email communications may therefore be subject to
> public disclosure. Community Consolidated School District 181

*Stephanie Flott*

Dwight Township High School            Dwight Grade School
801 S. Franklin St.                             801 S. Columbia St.
Dwight, IL 60420                               Dwight, IL 60420
815-584-6293                                    815-584-6239