[ISLMA-Share] Picture book request

Wed Oct 25 15:04:37 CDT 2017

"Winnie Finn, Worm Farmer" by Carol Brendler might work:

Kirkus Reviews (July 15, 2009)
Winnie Finn, worm farmer extraordinaire, would love to win a prize at the
annual county fair, so she can buy herself a new wagon. But worms are never
recognized as trophy winners. Winnie knows better: Raising good red
wigglers will help her neighbors earn prizes for the best corn, best egg
layer and prettiest Afghan puppy. With a little help from each of her
friends, Winnie applies her worm knowledge and ingenuity to help Mr.
Abernathy raise the tallest corn, which in turn is fed to Mrs.
Yamasaki-O'Sheridan's productive hens, whose eggs help Mr. Peasley's pups
develop the shiniest coats--resulting in first prizes for all. Brendler
creates a clever cumulative ecological tale filled with spunk and a bit of
vermiculture. Hoyt's sprightly cartoons add just the right amount of
humorous action to Winnie's worm-farming tasks, while Winnie's winning
personality allows readers to learn a bit about the positive aspects of
worm composting. An author's note includes directions for creating a worm
farm and sources. (Picture book. 5-8)

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Good afternoon, everyone.
>
> I am a high school librarian (9-12) and have an environmental science
> teacher asking for a solid list of 15 or more titles of kids picture books.
> She needs them to be environmentally themed, preferably non-fiction or
> fiction to tell about a real event or issue. She already adores:
>
> *One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of Gambia* by
> Miranda Paul
>
> *Energy Island* by Allan Drummond
>

> I have already added the following to the list as I’ve read them to my 7
> and 3 year old and love them:
>
> *Curious Garden* by Peter Brown
>
> *Letting the Swift River Go* by Jane Yolen
>
> *Our Tree Named Steve* by Alan Zweibel
>
> *Miss Rumphius* by Barbara Cooney
>
> *The Great Kapok Tree* by Lynne Cherry
>
> *A River Ran Wild* by Lynne Cherry
>
> *Tree: a little story about big things* by Danny Parker
>
> *The boy who harnessed the wind* by William Kamkwamba (picture book
> version)
>

> Based on the above criteria, would you recommend anything else? Would you
> take any off this list? Picture books are not my strength so I appreciate
> any help I can get.
>

> Thanks in advance and have a lovely rest of your Wednesday.
>

> *Kristen Rademacher*
>
> *Librarian*
>
> *Eco Club Director*
>
> *1 Book 1 Marist Director*