[ISLMA-Share] Picture book request

Wed Oct 25 20:30:12 CDT 2017

How about:

“Wangari Maathi: the woman who planted millions of trees” by Franck Prevot or

“Wangari’s trees of peace: a true story of Africa” by Jeanette Winter

“The Water Princess” (based on the childhood experience of Georgie Badiel) by Susan Verde (about the struggle for clean drinking water in many communities in Africa)

“The Tree Lady: the true story of how one tree-loving woman changed a city forever” by H. Joseph Hopkins (story of Kate Sessions and the city of San Diego)

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:26 PM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Picture book request

Isn't Seuss's The Lorax the famous one for the environment?

Mary Spevacek

Teacher Librarian

East Aurora High School

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info <mailto:islma at list.railslibraries.info> > wrote:

Good afternoon, everyone.

I am a high school librarian (9-12) and have an environmental science teacher asking for a solid list of 15 or more titles of kids picture books. She needs them to be environmentally themed, preferably non-fiction or fiction to tell about a real event or issue. She already adores:

One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of Gambia by Miranda Paul

Energy Island by Allan Drummond

I have already added the following to the list as I’ve read them to my 7 and 3 year old and love them:

Curious Garden by Peter Brown

Letting the Swift River Go by Jane Yolen

Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney

The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry

A River Ran Wild by Lynne Cherry

Tree: a little story about big things by Danny Parker

The boy who harnessed the wind by William Kamkwamba (picture book version)

Based on the above criteria, would you recommend anything else? Would you take any off this list? Picture books are not my strength so I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance and have a lovely rest of your Wednesday.

Kristen Rademacher

Librarian

Eco Club Director

1 Book 1 Marist Director