[ISLMA-Share] Reviews of middle school titles

Mon Oct 30 07:25:16 CDT 2017

Linda,

I use Common Sense Media to check things out if I am unsure. I wish reviews would let you know if a book has potential problem areas such as you are describing.

If you get any responses, would you please share?

Kendra Hodgson-Newton, MLIS
Glenview Middle School
East Moline School District #37
3100 7th St.
East Moline, IL 61244
Phone: 309-755-1919 ext. 233
Fax: 309-752-2567

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:54 AM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Reviews of middle school titles

Hi,

I need help from the collective group. I am the librarian at a PreK-8 Catholic school. Recently I have discovered two books that I added to the middle school collection (checkout for grades 6-8) based on professional reviews none of which described that the book had heavy sexual content. I am at a pretty liberal school but these books are truly pushing the envelope. Does anyone have an additional reviewing resource that they have found that do a good job describing "mature" content in middle school books?

Thanks
Linda

Linda Zeilstra Sawyer
School Librarian