[ISLMA-Share] Battle of the Books

Tue Sep 5 12:34:48 CDT 2017

Hi Lauren!

I have been part of Battle of the Books for many years.  This year I started at a new school district and they do it a bit differently.  It has been nice to get a different perspective.

School A:
Grades 4 & 5
Teams of 5
Students read 1 book which they get to keep.  It is encouraged they read more.  They should be an expert on their book.
Questions are created by a team of librarians across the district.
The Battle is held in tournament style: single elimination.
The 4th grade winners will battle the 5th grade winners in an assembly for the 3rd-5th graders.
Participants get a dog tag and book.
Winners get a T-Shirt.

School B:
Grades 4 &5
Teams of 5
Students should read 5 books out of a list of 25. It is encouraged they read more.  They should be an expert on their books.
Questions are created by a team of librarians across the district.
Battles are held during lunch.  Teams take turns answering questions and points are scored over 3 weeks.  The team with the most points wins for their school.  There is a final battle at the district level for all elementary winners.
I am unsure if there are prizes for the winner.  This is my first year in this district.

I do have copies of paper work used at each school.
If you have questions or would like more information, it is easier to explain over the phone.

Good luck!  It is a lot of fun!
Meredith