[ISLMA-Share] Books for 6th Grade Avid Reader

Fri Sep 8 10:28:53 CDT 2017

The parent of a son who is an avid reader has requested my opinion on three book titles concerning whether the content would be too mature for a sixth grader.  He has a very high Lexile level (exact level?) and his teacher is encouraging him to read at his Lexile level.  The parent is concerned that the content is too mature for a twelve year old (suicide, resurrecting the dead, etc.). I don’t know the titles but was hoping someone out there might be familiar with them so that you could give your thoughts.

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

This is Not the End by Chandler Baker

In addition, any title suggestions that would be at a high Lexile and interesting to a sixth grade boy would be appreciated.  Thanks so much in advance.

Anne Groesch
Librarian
Jefferson Middle School/Springfield Public School District 186
3001 Allis
Springfield, IL  62703
217-585-5810
FAX-217-525-5814