[ISLMA-Share] research techniques

Tue Sep 19 08:35:28 CDT 2017

I think this teacher is asking for a lesson on advanced searching
techniques, especially advanced searching in both Google and Databases. If
this is HS, she might want you to show Google Scholar or databases that
have academic / scholarly articles. I would also show your students how to
use the bibliographies / works cited at the end of articles in Google,
databases and even Wikipedia for further research. I have pasted links that
I like to use with students. Email me off list and I can share slides that
I have used with HS students.

This page helps students determine keywords:
http://new.library.arizona.edu/tutorials/search-strategy-builder

This page is a great tutorial for Boolean searching and explains the
difference between AND, BUT, OR.  There are beginning and advanced tutorials
https://lib2.colostate.edu/tutorials/boolean_info.html

Carolyn Kinsella, District Librarian
Minooka Community High School
ckinsella at mchs.net

Central Campus
301 S. Wabena Ave.
Minooka, IL  60447
PH: 815-467-2140 ext. 5040

South Campus
26655 West Eames
Channahon, IL 60410
PH:  815-521-4217

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Can you please read below what a teacher wants from me? Can you offer any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks so much!!
>
> "If you have/can think of a cool activity to help kids further
> narrow/focus their search terms or if you know other tricks in google for
> searching (other than what I have above), that would be awesome.
>
> Also, perhaps you could show them how to locate the History in Dispute
> section of Gale so they could quickly look up their own topics to find more
> information. If there is a footnote section for these write ups in Gale,
> then perhaps you could show them how they could locate these so they could
> get to the original source?
>
> Or if you can think of any other databases or tricks for identifying key
> historians on major topics (I don't have a quick tool on how to do this
> myself), that would be awesome."
>

> Thank you
> Lori

This message originates from Minooka Community High School District #111.
It contains information that is confidential or privileged and is intended
only for the individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone
else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. All
personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be
attributed to MCHS District #111, and may not be copied or distributed
without this disclaimer. If you received this message by mistake, please
notify us immediately at 815-521-4017