[ISLMA-Share] Breakout EDU with research skills?

Mon Sep 25 08:37:51 CDT 2017

We’ve done a few that use library skills to find the answers, but you adapt the concept to almost anything.

For instance:
We had one on the Harlem Renaissance that required students to find a particular article in the database to find the year important to the Apollo Theater (the clue was something like “Use <Database Name> to find this article <name of article>.  What year did they finish construction on the Apollo Theater?”
For Julius Caesar, we had a Lost Dog poster that had tear off strips featuring a call number, so the kids had to find that book on the shelf to find another clue.
For To Kill a Mockingbird, they were eventually directed to a the website of the historic courthouse where the answer to the question was in the content.
I also, rather evilly, had the quote “It’s a sin to kill a mockingbird” with an MLA citation of an encyclopedia of birds with the page number just as a “??”   They had to look up “mockingbird” in the index of that particular book to get the page number.   I was impressed they got that one without hints ☺

I’ve also heard of one that was at ISLMA (I didn’t go to it, but my co-director did) maybe?    Called “Who Murdered Dewey?” which featured library skills around a murder mystery theme, that was structured similarly, but involved more random topics, but the team gathered Clue-like conceptions like location, murder weapon, motivation, perpetrator, etc.

You could have the theme of the Breakout be almost anything, including stuff unrelated to curriculum (although it’s fun if it does connect in some way and good for your cross standards!) and use research or library skills to get to the answer (like using the catalog, finding shelf locations, indexes, locating databases, using particular websites).  For instance, a Percy Jackson themed game could lead to real Greek myth books in the library, an article on dyslexia, an atlas that traces Percy’s locations, etc, etc.  The most important thing is to lay the breadcrumbs clearly and specifically so that they succeed in the skill.

Kathryn Spindler
Co-Library Media Center Director
Bolingbrook High School

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 1:13 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Breakout EDU with research skills?

Has anyone created a game that specifically uses research skills (not content) as the clues/answers? I am trying to wrap my head around creating questions that don't involve content!

TIA!
Christi Shaner
Glenbrook South
cshaner at glenbrook225.org<mailto:cshaner at glenbrook225.org>

--
Christi Shaner
Head Librarian

This message is for named person(s) only. It may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost should mis-transmission occur. If you receive this message
in error, delete it (and all copies) and notify the sender. You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part
of this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Valley View Public
School District 365U reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications
through its networks.Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender
is authorized to state them to the views of any such entity.  This e-mail has
been virus and content scanned by Valley View Public School District 365U.