[ISLMA-Share] Audiobooks/Follett/Destiny Discover

Tue Sep 26 08:53:04 CDT 2017

I don't have audiobooks in my collection but if students are interested
I can usually find them through interlibrary loan if a student or staff
member requests one and it is available.

For our students with accommodations we rely on Learning Ally (free
grant through the state of Illinois). I would suggest looking into that
because it is really easy to use and offers tons of popular books and
text books that can be downloaded to a student's mobile device and they
can listen to the books on them. There is also ways to slow down or
speed up the text. www.learningally.org. As librarian I am able to help
manage the students that are added. We also added our entire special ed
team of teachers because they have to certify each student that is added
that they have an accommodation to be added to Learning Ally. You can
email me off list if you have more questions.

Mrs. Staci Thompson, LMS
Google Certified Educator Level 1
Google Certified Educator Level 2
Class of 2018 Co-Advisor
@BagoLibrarian
https://goo.gl/Eww9vL

Winnebago CUSD #323
815-335-2336 ext. 2225
ThompsonS at winnebagoschools.org
Currently Reading: Mindset by Carol Dweck

>>> Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
<islma at list.railslibraries.info> 9/25/2017 5:34 PM >>>
Lauren,

I know they are kind of old fashioned, but our elementary students
love
playaways.  Unfortunately they have gotten extremely expensive, as much
as
$80 a piece through Follett.  I am trying something new this year; just
got
a subscription for playaways with Junior Library Guild.   The cost
per playaway averages about $32 each.  They will replace them for free
if
they quit working.  The low tech ease of these devices is pretty
delightful
when you are super busy!

Another option might be buying cheap MP3 players and downloading audio
books on them. Different issues there-copyright laws, kids using them
for
things other than listening to books, erasing them when they come
back.
 If you have tech savvy help in your library, that might be a great fit
for
you.

Haven't tried Follett's audiobooks.  Looking forward to what others
say
about them!

Susan McMillin
Oak Ridge Elementary
Palos Hills, IL
Smcmillin at npd117.net

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 5:13 PM Email list for the Illinois School
Library

<https://maps.google.com/?q=525+Sunset+Ridge+RoadNorthfield,+IL+60093&entry=gmail&source=g>
> Northfield, IL 60093

<https://maps.google.com/?q=525+Sunset+Ridge+RoadNorthfield,+IL+60093&entry=gmail&source=g>
> grayl at sunsetridge29.org
> 847.881.9449
>

> “A library is more than a collection of dusty old books. It is a
place to
> learn, explore, and grow!”
> -Mr. Lemoncello in *Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library*

> *This e-mail message contains information that may be privileged
> or confidential and is the property of the Sunset Ridge School
District. It

--
Susan

islma-leave at list.railslibraries.info

This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above
addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED
INFORMATION WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE
LAW. Any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution,
downloading, or copying of this communication or any of its attachments
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please immediately notify the listed sender by reply email, and
take necessary steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any
hard copies of this transmission.