[ISLMA-Share] Author Visit by Gene Luen Yang

Tue Apr 3 14:56:55 CDT 2018

His speaking fee was $7500 for the day plus travel and hotel. He worked from 8:30 am-9 pm with no break. He had a lunch with ISU faculty and dinner with HS English teachers. He spoke three times and signed books three times. The public library hosted a Reading Without Borders Challenge. The public library's foundation paid $3000, the ISU English dept wrote a grant for $3000, our Freshmen Program paid $3000 and I fundraised $1000. That's how we made it happen.

________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:31:14 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Author Visit by Gene Luen Yang

How much?

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info<mailto:islma at list.railslibraries.info>> wrote:

All,

Earlier this month, our school hosted Gene Luen Yang, author of American Born Chinese and the Secret Coder series.  He was amazing--funny, accessible, informative. He was one of the most giving and humble human beings I've ever met. I saw him give three different presentations to three totally different audiences in one day while being engaging and kind at every turn. He was tireless in his promotion of representation, comics in education and creativity. His story is one of perseverance and hard work. His work resonates with our students and is part of our Freshman English curriculum. He spoke, answered questions and thanked each student for reading his work as he individualized their books.

Presenters like Gene are not cheap. I built a partnership with our public library and the College of English at ISU in order to bring him to our campus. It took us 18 months to write the grants and find a date that worked for all three groups and Gene. Planning and executing his visit was a lot of work, but his agent was great to work with and the event was WORTH EVERY PENNY!

If you are looking for an author or planning a larger event, I whole-heartedly recommend you consider Gene Luen Yang. (You will not be disappointed.)

Gretchen Zaitzeff
Librarian
University High School
Normal, IL

Kate Rogers

Downers Grove South High School
     Librarian
     Book Club Sponsor
krogers at csd99.org<mailto:krogers at csd99.org>
(630) 795-8561

This electronic message (and any associated file attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender by e-mail.

islma-leave at list.railslibraries.info