[ISLMA-Share] Ditching Reading Logs

Wed Apr 4 15:41:24 CDT 2018

I've successfully used Atwell's Reading Zone technique with my 5th graders
and it would be perfect for middle schoolers.  My son is in 8th grade and
his 6th and 7th grade teachers did NOT do a status of the class each day
and he never read ANYTHING.  But now that his 8th grade teacher does it, he
reads each day.  So awesome!  Inpsiring!

<https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack
<https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality&>

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> So planning for next year and after reading The Book Whisperer and lots of
> discussion we would like to eliminate reading logs.  BUT we still want to
> hold kids accountable and continue to build on a culture of reading.  I am
> in a 5-8 building.  What does your school look like?  What do you do with
> your ELA teachers to encourage students to read?  What grades are given for
> reading and how is it accessed?
>
> --
> Deanne Guccione, Librarian
> Pleasant Plains Middle School
> dguccione at ppcusd8.org
>
> "Winning is not always about shining the brightest.  Sometimes it's about
> sharing the light with someone who has been waiting in th shadows all
> along." Quote from the book* Save Me A Seat* by Saraha Weeks & Gita
> Varadarajan
> Currently Reading:  Far From the Tree
>

> [image: 33830437]
>

> Just finished:  Donuthead
>
> [image: 440459]

Becky Johnson

Rockland Learning Center
All are welcome.
Please come visit.
Answers are waiting.
http://rocklandlearningcenter.weebly.com/
Follow our library on Twitter @MrsJohnsonD70

--
To ensure that District 70 students experience learning that prepares them
to live and work in the 21st Century