[ISLMA-Share] Book Tasting/Book Speed Dating

Thu Apr 5 12:31:56 CDT 2018

I do something I call the "Lightning Round" with my middle schoolers on
occasion.  Basically what I've done is right a quick 1-2 sentence summary
of the plot on an index card and I put that on top of the book.  If the
student is interested in that idea, they check out the book!  It helps,
especially since middle school students don't always want to read the WHOLE
book jacket/back cover.

I'd probably call it "Speed Dating" if I were in a high school, but
"Lightning Round" seems to work a little better for my population.

Kori Wentzloff
LLC Director
Edison Middle School
Wheaton, IL
(630) 682-2050 ex.6861
kori.wentzloff at cusd200.org
#EdisonPantherPride

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 11:03 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> This is the book tasting that I do with 3rd - 5th graders:
>
> Find a Good Book Google Presentation.
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/10VsvGearTeh7u2FRXSQsz992J7SrZiTc/view?usp=sharing>
>
>  Find a good Book menu
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q24UVL1QVcb0gweO3EbxODesqNwGzprn/view?usp=sharing>
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library
> Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Has anyone ever done a book tasting or book speed dating?
>>
>> If you have, do you mind giving a step by step of logistics? I'm doing a
>> book giveaway on Monday, and I'm wanting for students to have a chance to
>> see most of the books before picking the one they want to take home.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Michele McDaniel
>> Booth Library, Eastern Illinois University

> :) Laughter is a smile that bursts! :)

This electronic mail message may contain confidential and proprietary
information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
immediately delete this message and any attachments.