[ISLMA-Share] 1:1 End of year collection in a high school

Fri Apr 6 15:27:23 CDT 2018

We choose a date for collection. We set up a "cafeteria line" with three
stops: clean your machine, make your tags, hand it to the librarian. The
library has each student put their name and grad year on pieces of masking
tape to place on both machine and cord.  The cords are collected in bins
for the summer (to be reunited with machine in August), the machines are
stacked in the library conference room.  Students also clean them with a
vinegar/water solution before turning them over (we learned that this was a
GREAT idea. It's so much nicer to work on clean machines!).  Then we run
reports to see which students we need to find before the last day to
ascertain when their machine is coming back. A "Problem Form" can also be
taped to lid of machines if students want to report any specific issues for
IT to look at over the summer. Decide what you will do about anyone who
leaves the building without turning in. (We phone parents directly to
request that they turn it in within 3 days)

Things we learned the first year:
--do not collect anything besides cord & machine (we collected bags once
and that was not a good idea).
--decide if you need to put them in any order (we do by grad year)
--keep track of which students do NOT turn in a cord (otherwise they'll try
to claim one in August)
--Figure out WHERE the IT maintenance will happen and deliver the machines
there ASAP.  Work with the custodial staff.  We ended up carting ours all
over the building because the room that IT *thought* they'd use for the
summer was unavailable in July due to floor waxing schedule. Not fun to
move hundreds of machines (mixing them up in the process)  Ugh.
--Remind students that the school will be using the "remote disable"
feature really encourages students to return their machines!

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD #4