[ISLMA-Share] Weeding in the Library questionnaire

Mon Apr 9 08:02:32 CDT 2018

Thank you

Mrs. Sheila Segelken

Director of Library and Media, Key Club Co-Sponsor

Carbondale Community High School

1301 E. Walnut Street

Carbondale, IL 62901

618-457-3371 Ext. 213

Sheila.Segelken at cchs165.com

________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2018 7:53:52 AM
To: ISLMA listserv
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Weeding in the Library questionnaire

Here is my simplified system:

I weed YEARLY by doing a collection analysis through Titlewave and then use the titles (based on age) as a "suggested" list to weed. I choose not to weed some of the books it suggests because I know that some are "popular" titles or are ones used by teachers for class projects. I sometimes try to get newer publication dates of older "popular" copyrighted books, so there are some newer copies. I also weed books that are in bad shape, but if they are popular, again I try to find newer copies.

I did have to deep weed the year I started here because they did not weed much before I arrived. I weeded several thousand OLD books at that time. Nowadays, it is more a few hundred.

Mr. Tim Yoder

Librarian
Harvard Junior High School
1301 North Garfield Street