[ISLMA-Share] How do we learn to run library programs?

Fri Apr 13 10:56:58 CDT 2018

(The following is an update about ALA's National Impact of Library Public Programs Assessment)

  *   "My event planning, volunteering for 16 years doing cultural events for my school district, and my theater/musician training helped a lot."

  *   "These are basic life skills learned by parents (e.g. doing homework in grade school, planning a birthday party, etc.)."

  *   "Working in a very high-scale restaurant as a server and working in a public museum on the visitor services side of things helped me gain skills in good customer services and event planning."

Between September and November 2017, the National Impact of Library Public Programs Assessment (NILPPA) team surveyed more than 1,200 library programming staff<http://nilppa.org/phase-1/what-skills-make-for-good-library-programming/> about their professional experience. They come from all around the country and from all types of libraries. In an earlier post, we looked at the skills staff need. Here, we look at how library workers acquired relevant skills.

We quickly realized that the overwhelming majority had benefited from informal training - and less than half of them thought their formal training was relevant to the everyday work of planning programs. For many of them, past experience outside libraries is also essential to their ability to run public programs. ...

Continue reading and comment online at http://nilppa.org/phase-1/how-do-we-learn-to-run-library-programs/

You can also share feedback by email: publicprograms at ala.org<mailto:publicprograms at ala.org>

The National Impact of Library Public Programs Assessment (NILPPA) is a two-year research project of the American Library Association (ALA) in collaboration with New Knowledge Organization Ltd., a social science think tank. NILPPA: Phase 1 is made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). Learn more at http://nilppa.org/.

Sarah Ostman
Communications Manager
Public Programs Office
American Library Association