[ISLMA-Share] Best Class Novel Recommendations?

Tue Apr 17 08:11:51 CDT 2018

Our 6th grade read *Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963* -  The ordinary
interactions and everyday routines of the Watsons, an African American
family living in Flint, Michigan, are drastically changed after they go to
visit Grandma in Alabama in the summer of 1963.

7th grade - *Tangerine *-  Twelve-year-old Paul, who lives in the shadow of
his football hero brother Erik, fights for the right to play soccer despite
his near blindness and slowly begins to remember the incident that damaged
his eyesight.

8th Grade - *Night *-  by Elie Wiesel about his experience with his father
in the Nazi German concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald in
1944–1945, at the height of the *Holocaust*

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:58 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Our sixth graders just read Refugee by Gratz and really enjoyed it. They
> also read A Fish in a Tree to start of the year for growth mindset.  Second
> quarter they did lit circles on memoirs. Their favorite choices were I Will
> Always Back, Malala, and Sachiko.
>
> Our 8th grade added the graphic novel Ymmy for variety.
>

> On Monday, April 16, 2018, Email list for the Illinois School Library
> Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Good Afternoon!
>>

>> I would appreciate any suggestions for AWESOME class novels for grades
>> 5-8.  We have been reading some of the same old stuff for a while and I
>> would like to offer some new options to our team.
>>

>> Thanks!!
>>
>> KD
>>

>> *Kathryn Donohue*
>> *Librarian*
>> Circle Rock Campus
>>
>> 5608 W. Washington Blvd. Chicago, IL  60644 | Phone:  773-945-5025

> Kathy Wickline
> Unity Junior High Librarian
> Tolono, IL
> wicklinek at unity.k12.il.us
>
> Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ujhslibrary

Renee Welch
Bednarcik Junior High <https://www.sd308.org/domain/965>
LRC Director

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library.
The only entrance
 requirement is interest. - Lady Bird Johnson