[ISLMA-Share] Author Visit Recommendations - Outstanding Illinois Authors - Part 1

Sun Apr 22 10:52:31 CDT 2018

Are you looking for some outstanding authors to visit your school, library,
or parent night?

I have had these authors visit my school and they were wonderful to work
with!

*Nancy Cavanaugh* - *Elsie Mae Has Something to Say *is her newest middle
grade novel.  Travel to the Okefenokee Swamp and learn about the culture of
the “swampers” and their way of life.  If you visit Brookfield Zoo this
summer, you can see a display on the Okefenokee Swamp in the “Swamp” house
and walk through a swamp setting that mimics Cavanaugh’s setting in her
book.

http://www.nancyjcavanaugh.com/

*Alice B. McGinty* - Has written over 43 books!  *Gandhi: A March to the
Sea* was on the 2017 Illinois Reads list.  She has 5 new books coming out!

http://www.alicebmcginty.com/

Alice also runs a summer writing camp for teens:

https://wordsonfirecamp.wordpress.com/

*Janet Nolan* - *Seven and a Half Tons of Steel *follows the journey of a
beam from the World Trade Center and how it was transformed into the bow of
the navy ship, the USS New York.

https://www.janetnolan.com/seven-and-a-half-tons-of-steel

Her book, *Firehouse Light*, is a chronological journey through time that
follows a fire station lightbulb that is still lit!  It is called the
Centennial Light: http://www.centennialbulb.org/

*Andrea Beaty* - Her STEAM books about Miss Lila Greer’s students are known
world-wide!

https://www.andreabeaty.com/

If you have any questions about these authors, you can contact me:

Diane Nelson

District Teacher Librarian

Darien School District #61

dnelson at darien61.org