[ISLMA-Share] Creative -- or different -- ways to schedule library classes

Tue Apr 24 09:32:02 CDT 2018

We have K and 1 30 minutes a week but also available to support the
classroom curriculum and pull small groups, whole class or pushin or
coteach to get our standards in in a meaningful way.

Grades 2-4 are flex meaning a point-of-need support - pushin, pullout whole
group or small group, coteach.

K- teachers assign 4 kids to a certain day and time and every week they
come in on that same day/time.  Provides an opportunity for a quick lesson
or exposure to the library( organization, new books, authors, etc).  K has
a 5-minute lesson and then checkout books.  Intimate.  Gives us a more
personalized opportunity with each students to help them navigate the
library and find those great books!

1st and 2nd grade - teachers have chosen whole-class book checkout...and
they stay.

3/4  - flex book checkout so kids come whenever they want/need a book.  4th
has a self-checkout station.
A couple of teachers have agreed to send 4-5 kids down to our quiet reading
area at the same day/time each week so they can get exposure to the
library, see new books, get a new book, or simply to read quietly for 30
minutes.  Again, a more intimate, personalized experience with students. At
third this gets more kids coming into the library because we were seeing
that the same kids were coming in with the flex schedule and some were not
coming in.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

--
Margo Newtown
Sheridan School