[ISLMA-Share] High-Interest Non-Fic

Wed Apr 25 10:45:09 CDT 2018

*Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann: * "In the 1920s, the richest
people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Indian nation in
Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, they rode in
chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study
in Europe.
      Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed off. The family of an
Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, became a prime target. Her relatives were
shot and poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more and more members
of the tribe began to die under mysterious circumstances.
      In this last remnant of the Wild West—where oilmen like J. P. Getty
made their fortunes and where desperadoes like Al Spencer, the “Phantom
Terror,” roamed—many of those who dared to investigate the killings were
themselves murdered. As the death toll climbed to more than twenty-four,
the FBI took up the case. It was one of the organization’s first major
homicide investigations and the bureau badly bungled the case. In
desperation, the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas
Ranger named Tom White to unravel the mystery. White put together an
undercover team, including one of the only American Indian agents in the
bureau. The agents infiltrated the region, struggling to adopt the latest
techniques of detection.  Together with the Osage they began to expose one
of the most chilling conspiracies in American history."

Beverly Zbinden
Head Librarian @ Niles North High School
9800 N. Lawler Avenue
Skokie, IL 60077
(847)626-2183

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
about education."
  - Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education