[ISLMA-Share] High-Interest Non-Fic

Wed Apr 25 12:33:57 CDT 2018

Gail,

Yes, I would highly recommend The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women.  It provides some interesting local history of Ottawa, Illinois (not far from Chicago) that still affects residents today.  Other books that my students enjoy are the following:

Any books by Ann Rule.  She is an American true crime author.

Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of the Rocky Flats by Kristen Iversen : The author tells the story of growing up near Rocky Flats, a secret nuclear weapons plant working with plutonium in weapons, and investigates accidents and government concealed toxic and radioactive waste released by the plant.  This book was suspenseful and what is really interesting is, this area is now a National Wildlife Refuge despite it being contaminated.  When I have visited Denver, I have asked residents what they know about this park and they are unaware of it's history!  It is a very informative book and it is well-written.

The Death and Life of the Great Lakes, by Dan Egan (It has been a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize twice): The Great Lakes hold 20 percent of the world’s supply of surface fresh water and provide sustenance, work, and recreation for tens of millions of Americans. But they are under threat as never before, and their problems are spreading across the continent. The Death and Life of the Great Lakes is prize-winning reporter Dan Egan’s compulsively readable portrait of an ecological catastrophe happening right before our eyes, blending the epic story of the lakes with an examination of the perils they face and the ways we can restore and preserve them for generations to come.   This book is very-well written.  In addition to providing information about the ecological changes occurring in the Great Lakes, but it tell an interesting historical perspective of the canal systems near Chicago.

The Worst Hard Time, by Timothy Egan (National Book Award Winner and on Read For A Lifetime Booklist) - This is another well-written book and a thrilling apocalyptic story.  The dust storms that terrorized the High Plains in the darkest years of the Depression were like nothing ever seen before or since. Timothy Egan’s critically acclaimed account rescues this iconic chapter of American history from the shadows in a tour de force of historical reportage. Following a dozen families and their communities through the rise and fall of the region, Egan tells of their desperate attempts to carry on through blinding black dust blizzards, crop failure, and the death of loved ones. Brilliantly capturing the terrifying drama of catastrophe, Egan does equal justice to the human characters who become his heroes, “the stoic, long-suffering men and women whose lives he opens up with urgency and respect” (New York Times).

Silent Spring, by Rachel Carson - This is a classic. It has not lost its validity. It has an important global message still today, 54 years after publication.  Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring was first published in three serialized excerpts in the New Yorker in June of 1962. The book appeared in September of that year and the outcry that followed its publication forced the banning of DDT and spurred revolutionary changes in the laws affecting our air, land, and water. Carson’s passionate concern for the future of our planet reverberated powerfully throughout the world, and her eloquent book was instrumental in launching the environmental movement. It is without question one of the landmark books of the twentieth century.

Carol Lock

Librarian

Macomb Jr./Sr. High School