[AISLE-Share] Junior high

Tue Aug 14 06:00:26 CDT 2018

I offer free books at our book fair for any student who reads 3 Rebecca
Caudill. Also, I let the kids run the fair, not parents, so ownership is a
positive.

I would also try getting the jr high age to help in the library. I have
library workers before school who shelf, decorate, get equipment to
teachers, run the circulation system and any other job I need.

I also have lunch hour groups that bring kids in.  We have 3 book clubs and
try-it Thursday. The first Thursday of the month our science teachers bring
in a speaker for Try-It and the other Thursdays are for games and crafts.
This year the counselor has booked the library on Mondays during lunch for
activities.

 Although not connected to reading, getting the kids excited about the
library is crucial.

On Monday, August 13, 2018, Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Hi!  I am a starting my 12 year librarian in a k8 building that shares one
> big library.  I am on a fixed schedule teaching k-4 and the jh ideally
> schedules a time where they can come down for library checkout and ssr.  We
> had lots of trouble this last 2 years with our jh not coming with schedule
> issues or behavior.  I kept stats which proved the poor checkout numbers
> especially in grades 7 and 8 and shared them with the previous admin and it
> wasn't addressed.  We finally  have a new administration team that I know
> is going to support the jh using the library and values reading.  My
> library is very beautiful and welcoming with a nice size and relevant YA
> collection. I want to get some ideas of some things I could do in the
> library to promote jh literacy. I do the Monarchs for K-3, use bluestems
> for our annual 4th grade battle of the books.  I tried doing caudills with
> 5-8 but it fizzled.  I need some low stress ideas because of my K-4
> schedule.  Any help, ideas would be so appreciated:)
> Thanks!
> Patty Kulesza

Kathy Wickline
Unity Junior High Librarian