[AISLE-Share] Diverse short stories

Mon Aug 27 15:55:57 CDT 2018

Hello great brain,

I am assisting a graduate student in identifying a short story to use for
her thesis.

She is looking for a diverse short story or personal narrative to use with
ELL/ESL high school students. Her definition of diversity is pretty broad,
so any suggestions would be helpful.

I have been out of the high school realm for quite a while now, so I'm not
as familiar with literature that might be appropriate. Here are some of the
ideas she has already thought about, but I thought I'd see if anyone here
had any suggestions.

Like Mexican by Gary Soto
Fish Cheeks  by Amy Tan
Two Kinds by Amy Tan
Champion of the World by Maya Angelou
The Racist Warehouse by Unknown
If You Are What You Eat, Then What Am I? by Geeta Kothari

Thanks so much!

Michele McDaniel
Reference Librarian
Eastern Illinois University