[AISLE-Share] YA checkout form?

Tue Aug 28 09:40:35 CDT 2018

Is this form a violation of patron privacy and unlimited access to information? The Library Bill of Rights (http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill) states that patron’s records are only to be viewed by the patron or the school librarian as well as unabridged access to age-appropriate information. I my opinion having a permission slip/YA checkout form is a violation of the student’s privacy and unlimited access to a collection.

With that being stated, I went the route of educating my faculty and administration. I marked the books that are YA with a 8th Grade label. That label means there is content that may be more mature and the teacher knows about it, especially my 6th grade teachers. I’ve shown my faculty how to get a professional review, but they don’t really get why. I also have done booktalks with my faculty (once every other year).

Sincerely,

Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education."
- Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education

From: aisle-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:aisle-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Association of Illinois School Library Educators
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:14 AM
To: aisle at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [AISLE-Share] YA checkout form?

We don't have a form, but ask parents/guardians to write us a brief note granting permission for their student to check out YA books.

Barb Miller
Learning Resource Center Facilitator
Troy Community Consolidated School District 30C

Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination
- Sidney Sheldon