[AISLE-Share] Library food policies

Fri Aug 31 12:19:07 CDT 2018

 We have a coffee bar in our library. We have two Keurigs (see attached
pic) and an electric kettle; the furniture was from Ikea.  I purchase the
supplies from Amazon as well as Sam's Club using coffee money (we used
library fine money as the seed money to buy the first supplies); we charge
$1 for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or hot cider. Money we make gets
deposited back into the library account. I did the research to make sure
that everything is $1 or less. And by "everything" I mean the drink pod,
cup, lid, stirrer, napkin, and one creamer. I'm not out to make money, but
I didn't want to lose money, either. Buy in bulk and during sales to keep
costs low. By charging $1, we don't have to make change very often, and we
make a profit of between .40 and .10 cents per cup, depending on which
flavor is chosen. French Vanilla Cappuccino is the most popular, followed
by hot chocolate. Be judicious about adding too many "frou-frou" flavors
all at once--we ordered 3 boxes of Caramel Swirl and they are selling very
slowly.  Wish we had only ordered 1 box to try it first!

We keep the pods and creamers in a 3-drawer Sterilite plastic drawer unit
behind the library desk.  Kids come up to pay and we hand them the drink
pod and the creamer.  Students walk over to the coffee bar and make their
own. Can't leave the creamers on the coffee bar because inevitably someone
will attempt to put 7 or 8 in their drink!

I recommend keeping track of coffee money separately.  I did not do that
the first year, and wish that I had.

Last year, we had a student who did the coffee job for 15-20 minutes each
day before school (by far the most popular time for coffee drinkers) and
she got volunteer credit for her Key Club (Kiwanis) requirements. But this
year, my clerk is handling it.

We've never had an issue with spills or trash, although the sugar spills
meant that we brought in a hand-vac just to keep the carpet in front of the
coffee bar clean. Some teachers allow the coffee in their classroom, others
do not. Students respect the individual classroom rules.

Email me if you have further questions!

*Michelle Harris*
Heyworth CUSD #4
harrism at husd4.org

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> We are exploring some new options & policies with regards to food and
> eating in the library. I'm wondering if there are other high schools that
> allow food and drink in their libraries, and if so, how do you manage this?
> Also, if anybody has a coffee bar or something similar I'd love to hear
> about it!
>
> --
> Allison Lichtenheld
> Media Teacher
> PBIS Tier II Coach
> Jacobs High School
> (847) 532-6235
>
> ------------------------------
> Please save trees. Print only when necessary.
>
> E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public records
> law. Most written communications (including email) to or from school
> district officials and staff are public records available to the public and
> media upon request. Your email communications may therefore be subject to
> public disclosure.

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4