[AISLE-Share] Library Renovation

Mon Dec 3 08:15:23 CST 2018

Hi Paige,

Mahomet-Seymour High School renovated in the summer of 2016. I know there are differences between high school and elementary school, but I think some of process and final decisions would transfer.  I did a presentation on our process at the ISLMA conference that year. Here is my slideshow with before and after pictures and information about our process: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U8ChzVKlZACFPGoCzuJecC4xgaHfeSct13PSNXq7gRo.

The only major thing I would change is doing something different with the circulation desk. I would probably figure out a way to have a standing desk and a storage cabinet for immediately needed supplies and a book return by the door. My space is so flexible, but the circulation desk gets in the way. Even though I questioned the height of the privacy wall around the desk, it ended up kind of being a fortress and not as handicap accessible as I would like for students in wheelchairs or with walkers. I would also ask for a phone in my storage room. I do not miss an office AT ALL, but on the rare occasion I need to call a parent, I don’t have a private space to do so if students are in the library. Other things are minor. Our stools that were supposed to work at tables and at our countertops are a little too short for the countertops, but it hasn’t been a big deal because no one sits at the countertops for too long and most just stand to work there. I also needed a couple more bookshelves, but I’ve been able to work around that by putting more stuff on display, upping our online nonfiction titles, and weeding more heavily the stuff that is not being checked out (which is mostly nonfiction). I love having a storage room with shelving and power outlets.

The students LOVE our booths more than anything, but we have a lot of different types of seating options that students like choosing between. They LOVE the small group rooms (though the first year saw some growing pains with them learning that my expectations of their behavior do not change because they are behind glass and that glass is clear and I am able to see them through it (who knew!). Nothing major, just high school students testing limits). I love my classroom space with mobile tables and individual white boards as well as big white boards and TV displays. I also love the mobile shelves. We all LOVE the massive amount of power outlets that were installed, conventional and USB charging ones, and a few in the floor in strategic areas. My head maintenance guy said he told the architects/electricians that he didn’t want to walk more than four feet without seeing an outlet.

I’m happy to answer questions you may have. My email is in my signature.

Ms. Lauren B. Ochs
Mahomet-Seymour High School Library
lochs at mscusd.org<mailto:lochs at mscusd.org>

From: aisle-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <aisle-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> On Behalf Of Email list for the Association of Illinois School Library Educators
Sent: Sunday, December 2, 2018 8:43 AM
To: aisle at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [AISLE-Share] Library Renovation

I have been given some funds to renovate a portion of my library space.  I see many interesting designs online, but I am curious to know if anyone has recently renovated their library and would be willing to share some pics of the renovation and insights on what you like best about your new space.

Thanks!
Paige Green
Teacher Librarian
Countryside Elementary School
I am currently reading Refugee by Alan Gratz

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachment thereto is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC 2510 et seq). It may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged within the meaning of applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info