[AISLE-Share] Library Renovation

Mon Dec 3 08:17:47 CST 2018

Here are some pictures of our redesigned library. I have two pictures of
the circular Spanish section (one with the circle connected and one where
it's split into two halves of a circle). Also, one picture is a panoramic
that shows what it looked like before we replaced the computer lab space
with a presentation area (shown in another picture).

I wish I had taken "before" pictures from before our entire redesign began,
but alas, I was not smart enough to remember to do that.

Overall, I like the colorfulness of the space now (drab tables and
bookcases and pillars before). I like the ability to stack chairs and move
just about everything. I like that we have a completely multi-functional
library space with several "separate" spaces that allow multiple classes to
utilize the library at one time. I like that we have better sight lines
(old shelves were tall and faced the wrong ways).

I DO NOT like the winding shelves; they do not hold books well and they are
too deep. I would have (in hindsight) asked for straight shelves that are
less deep. Sometimes I do not like that the books are "far" from the
circulation desk. At first, we ran out of shelf space, but we ordered more
shelves that are straight and line the back wall. One last thing that I do
not like is that it's difficult to get out from behind the circulation
desk. During out lockdown drills (or in the event of a real shooter) it
takes precious seconds to run from around the circulation desk to the doors
to lock them.

*Mr. Tim Yoder*

Librarian
Harvard Junior High School