[ISLMA-Share] Colonial America

Fri Feb 23 11:23:51 CST 2018

FIC Anderson
Laurie Halse Anderson.
Chains / Laurie Halse Anderson. -- N.Y. : Atheneum, 2010.

Grades 6-10. If an entire nation could seek its freedom, why not a girl? As
the Revolutionary War begins, thirteen-year-old Isabel wages her own
fight...for freedom. Promised freedom upon the death of their owner, she
and her sister, Ruth, in a cruel twist of fate become the property of a
malicious New York City couple, the Locktons, who have no sympathy for the
American Revolution and even less for Ruth and Isabel. When Isabel meets
Curzon, a slave with ties to the Patriots, he encourages her to spy on her
owners, who know details of British plans for invasion. She is reluctant at
first, but when the unthinkable happens to Ruth, Isabel realizes her
loyalty is available to the bidder who can provide her with freedom.
------------------------------

FIC Anderson
Laurie Halse Anderson.
Forge / Laurie Halse Anderson. -- N.Y. : Atheneum, 2010.

Grades 6-10. In this compelling sequel to Chains, a National Book Award
Finalist and winner of the Scott O’Dell Award for Historical Fiction,
acclaimed author Laurie Halse Anderson shifts perspective from Isabel to
Curzon and brings to the page the tale of what it takes for runaway slaves
to forge their own paths in a world of obstacles—and in the midst of the
American Revolution. The Patriot Army was shaped and strengthened by the
desperate circumstances of the Valley Forge winter. This is where Curzon
the boy becomes Curzon the young man. In addition to the hardships of
soldiering, he lives with the fear of discovery, for he is an escaped slave
passing for free. And then there is Isabel, who is also at Valley
Forge—against her will. She and Curzon have to sort out the tangled threads
of their friendship while figuring out what stands between the two of them
and true freedom.

FIC Anderson
Laurie Halse Anderson.
Ashes / Laurie Halse Anderson. -- New York : : Atheneum Books for Young
Readers,, [2016].

As the Revolutionary War rages on, Isabel and Curzon have narrowly escaped
Valley Forge—but their relief is short-lived. Before long they are reported
as runaways, and the awful Bellingham is determined to track them down.
With purpose and faith, Isabel and Curzon march on, fiercely determined to
find Isabel’s little sister Ruth, who is enslaved in a Southern state—where
bounty hunters are thick as flies.

FIC Bryan
Ashley Bryan.
Freedom over me / Ashley Bryan. -- New York : : Atheneum Books for Young
Readers,, [2016].

"Using original slave auction and plantation estate documents, contrasts
the monetary value of a slave with the priceless value of life experiences
and dreams that a slave owner could never take away"-- In his gentle yet
deeply powerful way, Ashley Bryan goes to the heart of how a slave is given
a monetary value by the slave owner, tempering this with the one thing that
CAN’T be bought or sold—dreams. Inspired by the actual will of a plantation
owner that lists the worth of each and every one of his “workers”, Bryan
has created collages around that document, and others like it. Through
fierce paintings and expansive poetry he imagines and interprets each
person’s life on the plantation, as well as the life their owner knew
nothing about—their dreams and pride in knowing that they were worth far
more than an Overseer or Madam ever would guess. Visually epic, and never
before done, this stunning picture book is unlike anything you’ve seen.
------------------------------

FIC Burg
Ann E Burg.
Unbound / Ann E Burg. -- New York : : Scholastic Press,, 2016..

The day Grace is called from the slave cabins to work in the Big House,
Mama makes her promise to keep her eyes down. Uncle Jim warns her to keep
her thoughts tucked private in her mind or they could bring a whole lot of
trouble and pain. But the more Grace sees of the heartless Master and
hateful Missus, the more a rightiness voice clamors in her head-asking how
come white folks can own other people, sell them on the auction block, and
separate families forever. When that voice escapes without warning, it sets
off a terrible chain of events that prove Uncle Jim's words true. Suddenly,
Grace and her family must flee deep into the woods, where they brave deadly
animals, slave patrollers, and the uncertainty of ever finding freedom.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Dear All,
> We are looking to add to our seventh grade social studies classes a
> fiction book that features either women or Native Americans or African
> Americans.  Our textbook gives the standard view of that time period, so we
> would like to diversify through fiction.
> Kathy Wickline
> Unity Junior High Librarian
> Tolono, IL
> wicklinek at unity.k12.il.us
>
> Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ujhslibrary

*Marsha Stewart*
*Librarian*

The Ancona School <http://www.anconaschool.org/>

4770 S. Dorchester Ave.

Chicago, IL 60615

mstewart at anconaschool.org <frede at anconaschool.org>

--

<http://anconaschool.org>

4770 S. Dorchester • Chicago IL 60615
P: 773.924.2356 F: 773.924.8905
anconaschool.org   <https://twitter.com/theanconaschool>
<https://www.facebook.com/The-Ancona-School-186226609670/>
The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions that arise
as a result.​