[ISLMA-Share] advise needed

Tue Jan 9 11:50:58 CST 2018

Although I love both of these books, I would hesitate I making either of
them a class read. Although some students in the class may have the
emotional maturity to deal with the themes presented, it is highly unlikely
that a whole class would. If you are going to tiptoe down the road of
sophisticated themes, you might do better with maybe *The Giver* by Lowry?

Leah Krippner
Librarian, Harlem High School
I am currently reading *Pacifica* by Kristen Simmons

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> A couple of questions on some book choices: How do you feel about a 5th
> grade AT (academically talented) class reading either Ender's Game or
> Flowers for Algernon in their entirety ?
>
> I was asked for input, which I gave, and also said I would ask my
> colleagues what their thinking was about those books for an upper
> elementary level class read.
>
> Please email me off-list & I'll be glad to discuss with you further.
> Thanks so much for any responses.
>
> *Pamela Huff*
> Teacher/Librarian
> Learning Center Director
> *Johnsburg High School*
> 2002 W. Ringwood Road
> Johnsburg IL 60051
> *815-385-9233 <(815)%20385-9233>*
>
> phuff at johnsburg12.org

This email was sent by a staff member of Harlem Consolidated School
District 122.