[ISLMA-Share] elementary school circulation policy recommendation

Wed Jan 10 15:19:04 CST 2018

My apologies for replying to the group; I didn't have your email, Kevin!
Here's what I do in my current building:

       How many books can be checked out at a time? Kindergarten checks out
one book; 1st -5th can have 2 books.  If there's a special assignment, I
would check out an additional book to a student.

·       What is the maximum number of books that can be checked out
simultaneously?  Typically, 2 books

·       How long is the checkout period (e.g. 1 week, 2 weeks, undefined)?  One
week

·       How many times can a student renew a book?  I'm pretty flexible on
this...if the book isn't in high demand, I let them renew it a few times.
If it's in high demand, they get 1-2 renewals, then I start to question
where they are in the book to see if they're making progress, and letting
them know others are waiting for the book, so they get one more renewal.  A
number of students aren't reading at grade level, so I want to give them
time to work through it and encourage them to keep on reading!

·       Do you allow a Hold to be put on a book?  Yes!  We use Follett
Destiny, which makes it easy to keep track of who should get those very
popular books next.  It also helps spread the titles out a bit, so the same
class isn't always getting the newly returned popular books and no one else
gets a chance to see them.  I place the holds, not the students.  They
write their name and the title of the book they want on a piece of paper,
and I place the hold in my "free time"  :)

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library