[ISLMA-Share] elementary school circulation policy recommendation

Wed Jan 10 18:28:11 CST 2018

I greatly increased borrowing privileges a few years ago with the
philosophy that the books are meant to be in students' hands rather than on
the shelf. I didn't calculate how much more time it would take shelving the
books, but I am fortunate to have volunteers to do all the shelving. It
keeps them busy.

   - K, 1, 2 - six books total. If they have two books out, they can take
   four, etc. Some parents tell their children to take fewer, which is fine.
   - 3, 4, 5 - 10 books, more if they are doing research. Students usually
   self-limit how many they check out, though there are a few who check out
   many books each week. They've proven themselves responsible.
   - All books circulate for two weeks.
   - Students can renew books if they are not on hold for someone else.
   They can renew online once themselves, but after that they need to do it
   with an adult. They cannot renew books like Guinness World Records, Weird
   but True.
   - Students can put books on hold. We encourage 3rd-5th to do it
   themselves online, but we also do it for students, especially the younger
   ones.
   - We send out weekly overdue notices to students (3rd-5th) and parents.

We've seen only positive benefits of increased borrowing privileges (except
for more books to shelve).

Jill Berry
Elm School
Burr Ridge

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library