[ISLMA-Share] ELEM: Genius Hour

Thu Jan 11 08:00:12 CST 2018

Do any of you do anything resembling Genius Hour with your 5th graders? I see my 5th grade 1 a week for 42 minutes (provided they show up on time, or come at all). During that 42 minute time, I have to teach and give the kids time to check out.

I would like to use a Genius Hour concept to teach the research skills, and digital/information literacy skills during this. I can take all of 2nd semester to do this. I have begged, pleaded, offered to do all the work for in class research activities for all subjects. No one is even remotely interested in doing it.

How do you do "Genius Hour" in your library?

Thanks,

Kendra Hodgson-Newton, MLIS
Glenview Middle School
East Moline School District #37