[ISLMA-Share] Manga Shakespear

Fri Jan 12 11:04:16 CST 2018

For your info…every spring, iSchool faculty member & world-renowned expert, Carol Tilley<http://caroltilley.net/> offers an 8-week course on Comics & Reader’s Advisory.

IS 590 CR – Spring Course (2 credit hours)
Comics: Advising Child and Adult Readers

Comics--in forms including comic strips, comic books, graphic novels, webcomics, and manga--represent an important cultural medium, which appeals to persons of all ages and is collected by many school, public, and academic libraries. This course introduces students to the comics medium, its history, and its cultural influences. Students will read a variety of comics and learn about materials and techniques key to providing reader's advisory in this medium. Although this course focuses on American comics, some readings and discussions will touch on this medium's international dimensions.

Based upon this thread, it may be a future course of interest to put on your radar! It can be taken as a continuing education student online (you don’t not have to be enrolled in a degree-seeking program)!

Best,
Ann Ohms
K-12 Program Coordinator
University of Illinois’ School of Information Sciences
Champaign, IL 61820
annohms2 at illinois.edu<mailto:annohms2 at illinois.edu>

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:52 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Manga Shakespear

Mr. Heideman, I beg to differ. Putting the classics into graphic novels or manga makes them more accessible. I wish all my students read on a level to be able to read the classics, but when they don’t, graphic/manga versions can help scaffold the books to a level that helps students be successful. Research is clear that graphic novels can be important to building reading comprehension. The classics may not circulate as much as other graphic novels or texts, but I have “sold” them to my teachers who use them in class when teaching certain books as a way to help struggling readers (and those students often come in to see which other classics I may have in graphic/manga format).

Ms. Lauren Ochs
School Librarian
Mahomet-Seymour High School
302 W. State St.