[ISLMA-Share] Diverse YA Feminist Fiction

Tue Jan 16 13:38:37 CST 2018

I'm a big fan of *Typhoid Mary: a true story of the deadliest cook in
America,* by Susan Bartoletti. Mary is Anglo, but at the time she was an
Irish immigrant, and we all know how they were treated in the day.
Bartoletti also compares how Mary was treated versus how men with the same
condition were treated - she was imprisoned in a hospital colony for the
rest of her life, while they were given training and jobs in trades not
involving food.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hello all!
>
> We're doing a bit of thinking ahead for displays in my library and with
> March being Women's History Month, we always have a big nonfiction display
> of exceptional women from around the world and spanning the spectrum of
> areas of influence (the arts, the military, sports, etc.)
>
> We want to expand to include feminist YA (and adult with YA appeal)
> fiction as well, but the titles I have so far come from white, cisgendered
> perspectives - Moxie, Glory O'Brien's History of the Future, The Female of
> the Species. I want this to be intersectional and inclusive, so any
> recommendations for additional diverse titles would be appreciated!
>
> -Monica Fumarolo
>
> --
> Monica Fumarolo, MSLIS
> Librarian
> Lake Forest High School
> 1285 N. McKinley Rd., Lake Forest, IL 60045
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1285+N.+McKinley+Rd.,+Lake+Forest,+IL+60045&entry=gmail&source=g>
>  @mfumarolo <http://twitter.com/mfumarolo> & @LFHSlibrary
> <http://twitter.com/LFHSlibrary>
>
> --
> Monica L. Fumarolo
> B.A. - English, Secondary School Teaching
> M.S. - Library and Information Science

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School