[ISLMA-Share] Job description - question for traveling librarians

Thu Jan 18 12:07:17 CST 2018

I spent 17 years in only one building, and most of that time I had a
full-time aide as well. However, for the last four years, I have been the
librarian at two junior high schools. The other two junior high schools in
the district are staffed by my colleague. Our jobs were changed when the
district downsized our department, and as far as I know the job description
has not yet been changed to reflect that and most likely will not be until
one of us leaves. We have no aide or assistants, but sometimes TAs are
assigned to help shelve--only when there is a gap in their schedules.

We spend two full days at each building and alternate Mondays. This was
something the Lit teachers and librarians had to talk the district into, as
admin's original idea was for us to do 1/2 days at each building,
flip-flopping between mornings and afternoons. Since we have the "team"
concept, in order to see all the students on one team on the same day,
staying at a building for the whole day is a must, we argued, and
fortunately, the district accepted the idea. We do not get paid for travel
as we are in one building the whole day. We are able to flex our schedules
if needed, and I usually only do so during the book fairs so I can spend
the whole week at one school.

I maintain a Google calendar for each school library, as well as one for
me, and I share them so that teachers can see when I am available.
Although, in truth, they usually just email me first without checking the
calendar.

As you can imagine, I feel that my teaching and programming suffers as
there are clerical things that must get done, and it is frustrating that a
district with literacy as its top priority has libraries that are closed
and dark nearly half the time school is in session. Obviously, I am here
preaching to the choir 😉

Michelle Glatt
Librarian
Chiddix and Evans Junior High Schools
Bloomington-Normal, IL
glattml at myunit5.org
309-336-6545

Chiddix IMC calendar: http://tinyurl.com/chiddiximc
Evans IMC calendar: http://tinyurl.com/evansimc
U5JHS Book Trailers https://tinyurl.com/U5jhsyoutubechannel

*“It is our belief that levels have no place in classroom libraries, in
school libraries, in public libraries, or on report cards.” - *Fountas and
Pinnell Say Librarians Should Guide Readers by Interest, Not Level
<http://www.slj.com/2017/10/literacy/fountas-pinnell-say-librarians-guide-readers-interest-not-level/>

Currently Reading
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/15153735?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[image: Book Cover]
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/15153735?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>

[image: Goodreads Logo]
<https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature>Get
your own email signature
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:04 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library