[ISLMA-Share] Cataloging and title questions

Fri Jan 19 13:29:52 CST 2018

I just went down this rabbit hole with Illinois State University cataloger regarding Matt de la Pena and Melissa de la Cruz.

We had Melissa de la Cruz in Fiction De L and Matt de la Pena in Fiction Pen, but not too long ago, Matt de la Pena asked the Library of Congress to catalog his work as de la Pena, Matt. So we changed the records and placement of his work to Fiction De L

The catalog records at the University of Illinois list Judith Ortiz Cofer as Otiz Cofer, Judith which, I feel, is culturally responsive.

Hope this helps.

Gretchen Zaitzeff
Librarian
University High School

________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 1:13:05 PM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Cataloging and title questions

Happy Friday everyone!

I have a cataloging question regarding authors who have 2 last names. In particular, Judith Ortiz Cofer. If I get in the way-back machine and return to my cataloging course, I seem to remember that authors with this type of name get cataloged under first three letters of the second name. In this case, COF.

If her name were hyphenated (Ortiz-Cofer) then it would be cataloged under ORT, right?

Also I have two books that students were looking for:
The first is about a girl who commits suicide and now she is trapped in her school with the ghosts of other students who killed themselves. She cannot escape the school.

The second is about a young girl whose village in Africa is destroyed by war, and she escapes to the U.S., only to be held hostage by a family who forces her into domestic service without pay. She escapes with a boy and another girl (I think?)

Thank you thank you!

islma-leave at list.railslibraries.info