[ISLMA-Share] Cataloging and title questions

Fri Jan 19 13:56:34 CST 2018

Unless we have specific information about this from the book or another
source., we don't know whether Ortiz is a middle name or a last name. If
she's Anglo, Ortiz is a family last name used as her middle name, and Cofer
is used for cataloguing. If she's Latin American, she has two last names,
of which Ortiz is the first and the one used for cataloguing. I don't know
the author or her work, so can't help you make that distinction.  When in
doubt, I consult the LOC author record.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Your second book may be Hidden Girl by Shyima Hall.
>
> *~Monica*
> Please forgive my poor one handed typing. I broke my wrist when i fell on
> the ice. "Let's be careful out there!"
> Currently reading* Pill City: How Two Honor Roll Students Foiled the Feds
> and Built a Drug Empire
> <http://titlepeek.fsc.follett.com/tp/query?action=3&subnumber=1206365&isbn=9781250110039&appid=4>
> *by Kevin Deutsch
> Currently listening to *Birds of a Feather
> <https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83083.Birds_of_a_Feather?ac=1&from_search=true>*(sequel
> to *Maisie Dobbs)* by Jacqueline Winspear
>
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Happy Friday everyone!
>>
>> I have a cataloging question regarding authors who have 2 last names. In
>> particular, Judith Ortiz Cofer. If I get in the way-back machine and return
>> to my cataloging course, I seem to remember that authors with this type of
>> name get cataloged under first three letters of the second name. In this
>> case, COF.
>>
>> If her name were hyphenated (Ortiz-Cofer) then it would be cataloged
>> under ORT, right?
>>
>> Also I have two books that students were looking for:
>> The first is about a girl who commits suicide and now she is trapped in
>> her school with the ghosts of other students who killed themselves. She
>> cannot escape the school.
>>
>> The second is about a young girl whose village in Africa is destroyed by
>> war, and she escapes to the U.S., only to be held hostage by a family who
>> forces her into domestic service without pay. She escapes with a boy and
>> another girl (I think?)
>>
>> Thank you thank you!

> Pursuant to Illinois’ public records law, this electronic communication
> may constitute a public record. Please be advised that this email may be
> subject to monitoring and disclosure to third parties.

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School