[ISLMA-Share] HS Research Questions

Wed Jan 24 11:15:47 CST 2018

Hi all!

I am working with a social studies teacher to teach keywords, search strings, and some advanced search skills on Google and in the database (and hopefully encourage a little search stamina instead of Student: Ugh! I can't find ANYTHING on the legalization of marijuana! Me: Um, REALLY?!?! Are you sure about that? :)). I'm putting together an activity like the Google Game<http://www.slj.com/2006/01/technology/the-google-game/#_> that I've used in the past but need to update. I'm looking for some great research questions to use as examples for the students to search. This is for a current events class with 10-12th grade students, but I would love to hear your favorite examples on any topic.

For the game, students will have to use the research question to:

*         utilize Google and the library's databases.

*         search a media outlet of your choice from Google using the site search operator.

*         use the site search operator to find .org, .gov, .edu sites to answer the question

*         utilize Boolean search operators.

*         include an answer taken from a primary source.

For each question, they have to answer it correctly using their most credible source which they find using a mixture of the techniques above. In addition to the answer, they must give us:

*         # of search results

*         # of times they searched before finding the "right" search string

*         The search string used

*         Link to the source they used to answer the question

*         Screenshot of the top of the search results page with at least two sources showing

*         Reflection of the search process: why did they search that way and what did they learn.

I'm happy to share the final product with anyone who can help me come up with some great research questions! You can email me off list at lochs at ms.k12.il.us<mailto:lochs at ms.k12.il.us>. I will share when it is complete.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ms. Lauren Ochs
School Librarian
Mahomet-Seymour High School
302 W. State St.
Mahomet, IL 61853
lochs at ms.k12.il.us<mailto:lochs at ms.k12.il.us>

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachment thereto is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC 2510 et seq). It may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged within the meaning of applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.