[ISLMA-Share] Book Donations for Start Up Library

Fri Jan 26 09:38:36 CST 2018

I encourage all who assist this worthwhile project to consider the "spoiled
milk" analogy of using weeded books: please do not pass on incorrect or
outdated information. Students in Ghana deserve correct information and
worthwhile books in their new library.

I visited a number of schools in Uganda, including one supported by my high
school, and the libraries, as simple as they may be, are better used when
filled with books that students want to read, not weeded discards. The
bottom, dusty shelves were often filled with old textbook series that do
not match the national curriculum.

My best advice is to send paperbacks that are generally appropriate and do
not focus heavily on US culture or TV shows. Current science books.
Classics. I brought a suitcase with 50 lbs f paperback books in varied
reading levels, and I gave them away to the children we visited. Book Love.

--
Pursuant to Illinois’ public records law, this electronic communication may
constitute a public record. Please be advised that this email may be