[AISLE-Share] Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program

Tue Jul 17 10:54:06 CDT 2018

I tried to get loan forgiveness. According to the Fed Ed Dept, we
teacher-librarians are NOT teachers. We cannot utilize the Teacher
Forgiveness Loan. However, we are lumped in with other civil servants and
are eligible for that program--maybe Public Service Loan Forgiveness. In
the first one you  get your loan forgiven after 5 years. In the second it
is after 10 years. I was signed up to pay back over 10 years, so I am not
able to take advantage of either. In fact, Fed Ed keeps sending me emails
that I should change my repayment plan so that I can advantage of the
forgiveness. Why would I do that? I will be repaid this year anyway. What
really made me mad about it was that even though I had paperwork from my
district stating that I teach literacy skills to 700 students every week,
they said I was not a "teacher" and sent a print out of my district web
page that says that I am the librarian. Needless to say, I am not a fan of
the Fed Ed Dept for this and many other reasons!

Holly Gallagher
K-5 Librarian
NBCT

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info